Generic Name : Zidovudine Pronunciation : zye doe' vue deen Therapeutic Classification : Antiretroviral Agents ICD Code : Y41.5
India- Retrovir, Viro-Z, Zidine, Zidine 100, Zidine 300, Zidomax, Zidovir, Zilion, Zivudin, Zvd, Zydowin, Zido-H Soln.
International- Retrovir. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an antiretroviral agent, prescribed for HIV/AIDS. It works by decreasing the amount of HIV in the blood. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 600mg/day in divided doses. How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule and syrup to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of bone marrow depression, low blood counts, liver, kidney diseases, obesity, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid contact with people who have infections.
* Avoid sexual contact with your partner in order to avoid transmission of HIV infection.
* Monitor liver, kidney functions, and complete blood cell counts while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Body as a Whole - Weakness, headache, uneasiness, fever, back, chest pain, flu-like syndrome and generalized pain.
Gastrointestinal - Loss of appetite, constipation, nausea, vomiting, liver, diarrhea, mouth ulcer, indigestion and flatulence.
Heart - Heart disease and fainting.
Blood - Anemia, decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle pain/inflammation.
Central Nervous System - Anxiety, confusion, depression, dizziness, loss of mental acuity, tingling, seizures, drowsiness and unsteadiness.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, Cough, abnormal breath sounds/wheezing unny nose and sinus inflammation.
Skin - Changes in skin and nail pigmentation, itching, skin death, rash, hives and increased sweating.
Eye and ENT - Hearing loss, eye swelling, sensitivity to light and taste perversion.
Genitourinary - Urinary frequency and urinary hesitancy, breast enlargement in male.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature and away from light.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert