Generic Name : Xipamide Pronunciation : Zee-pah-mide Therapeutic Classification : Diuretics ICD Code : Y54.5
India- Xipamid tab.
International- Aquaphor, Aquaphoril, Aquex, Diurex, Diurexan, Neotri, Xipa Tad, Xipagamma, Xipa-Isis, Xipamid Aaa-Pharma, Xipamid Abz, Xipamid Al, Xipamid Beta, Xipamid Billix, Xipamid Heumann, Xipamid Hexal, Xipamid Sandoz, Xipamid Stada, Xipamid, Xipamid-1a Pharma, Xipamid-Ct, Xipamid-Ratiopharm. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a sulfonamide diuretic agent, prescribed for high blood pressure and fluid retention. It increases the removal of salts from the blood. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with Addison's disease, kidney failure, electrolyte deficiency and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: PO- Edema- Initial: 40 mg/day in the morning, reduced to 20 mg/day if needed. Max: 80 mg/day.
HTN- 20 mg/day in the morning. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, as directed by your physician. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diabetes, blood disorder, joint pain/stiffness, decreased level of minerals in blood, urinary problems, narrowing of blood vessels, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may lead to dehydration, drink adequate water or fluid.
* Take proper diet as directed by your physician.
* Monitor blood pressure, heart, liver and kidney functions regularly while taking this medication.
Side Effects :
Common-Gastrointestinal disturbances, dizziness, decreased potassium level in blood, high level of uric acid in the blood and increased urination.
Rare- Allergic skin reactions such as rashes and hives.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert