This medication is an azole antifungal agent, prescribed for various fungal infections. It works by slowing the growth of the fungi that cause infection.
Adult: PO- The recommended dose for patients with greater than 40 kg body weight is 400 mg 12 hourly for the 1st 24 hours. Maintenance: 200 mg 12 hourly, upto 300 mg 12 hourly if needed.
The recommended dose for patients with less than 40 kg body weight is 200 mg 12 hourly for the 1st 24 hours. Maintenance: 100 mg 12 hourly, upto 150 mg 12 hourly if needed.
IV- Loading dose: 6 mg/kg 12 hourly for the 1st 24 hours. Maintenance: 4 mg/kg 12 hourly.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth 1 hour before food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart problems, abnormal electrocardiogram (ECG), low level of blood minerals, liver, kidney, pancreas, or blood disease, who have taken chemotherapy treatment, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause blurred vision or sensitivity to light, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight.
• Most Common :
Visual disturbances, fever, nausea, rash, vomiting, chills, headache, abnormal liver function, fast heart rate and hallucinations.
• Body as a Whole : Abdominal pain, flu-like syndrome and weakness.
• Heart : Chest pain, vein inflammation, low blood pressure and facial swelling.
• Gastrointestinal : Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, difficulty in swallowing, indigestion, dry mouth, reflex and flatulence.
• Liver : Jaundice and liver inflammation.
• Blood : Blood dyscrasias, bruising and swelling in the extremities.
• Central Nervous System : Dizziness, hallucinations, confusion, depression, anxiety, tremor, agitation and tingling.
• Respiratory : Respiratory distress syndrome, sinus inflammation, nose bleed and difficulty in breathing.
• Skin : Rash, itching, sensitivity to light, hair loss and skin inflammation.
• Genitourinary : Kidney failure, blood in urine, impotence, urinary incontinence, urinary retention, urinary tract infection and vaginal bleeding.
• Local : Injection site reactions such pain, swelling, redness etc.
• Musculoskeletal : Joint pain/inflammation, bone damage, bone pain, leg cramps and muscle pain/weakness.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15° - 30°C), and away from children.
A prosthetic heart valve is an artificial device surgically implanted into the heart to replace a ...
PUVA or photochemotherapy is used to treat several skin disorders with the help of UV light and the ...
Breathing in unclean air due to increasing air pollution could cause kidney damage with resultant ...View All