Generic Name : Vildagliptin Therapeutic Classification : Antidiabetics ICD Code : Y42.3
India- Jalra, Zomelis.
International- Eucreas, Galvumet, Galvus, Icandra, Jalra, Xiliarx. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an oral antidiabetic agent, prescribed for type 2 diabetes mellitus along with other medications. It works by increasing the amount of two incretin hormones in the body that are produced naturally by the body in response to food intake. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with type 1 diabetes, diabetic ketoacidosis, severe liver impairment, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
PO- with metformin or a thiazolidinedione: 50 mg twice daily; with a sulfonylurea: 50 mg/day in the morning. Maximum: 100 mg/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of severe kidney disease.
* It may cause dizziness or fatigue, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of foot ulcers and blistering of the skin; if it is so consult with your doctor.
* Monitor liver function and blood sugar level regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Low blood sugar level, tremor, headache, weight gain and fluid retention.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, fatigue, and feeling weak.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25 to 30°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert