This medication is an anti-parasitic, prescribed for trichomoniasis, giardiasis, bacterial vaginosis, and amebiasis. It works by killing sensitive parasites and bacteria.
Contraindicated in patients during first trimester of pregnancy, breastfeeding, and hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 2gm once daily for 3 days.
Child- PO- The recommended dose is 30 to 50 mg/kg/day.
Trichomoniasis, Giardiasis, Bacterial Vaginosis- Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 2gm as a single dose.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of nerve, brain, or blood problems; yeast infection, seizures, liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Central Nervous System :
Peripheral neuropathy (numbness, weakness, burning pain), tingling, unsteadiness, incoordination, giddiness, sleeplessness and drowsiness.
• Gastrointestinal : Tongue discoloration, mouth ulcer and diarrhea.
• Hypersensitivity : Hives, itching, rash, flushing, sweating, dryness of mouth, fever, burning sensation, thirst, watery mouth and shock.
• Genitourinary : Darkened urine.
• Heart : Palpitations.
• Blood : Decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
• Miscellaneous : Increased vaginal discharge, mouth infection, liver function abnormalities, joint/muscle pain, and joint inflammation.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Palliative care is a specialized multifaceted care for patients with chronic or terminal illness to ...
Our kitchen and food has the best medicinal properties to fight stress. These are the top 10 foods ...
Unripe green papaya fruit is a rich source of important nutrients including vitamins, proteins, & ...View All