This medication is a tranquilizer, prescribed for schizophrenia.
Contraindicated in patients with decreased level of consciousness, severe high or low blood pressure, low levels of potassium in the blood, abnormal heart function test (ECG), who are taking antiarrhythmic drugs, antidepressants, and hypersensitivity.
Adult: PO- Schizophrenia- Initial: 50-100; 3 times per day. Max: 800 mg/day in 2-4 divided doses.
Depression- Initial: 25 mg 3 times per day. Maintenance: 20-200 mg/day.
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart problems, high or low blood pressure, blood problems (eg, porphyria), bone marrow depression, liver, kidney problems, enlarged prostate gland, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, Reye syndrome, breast cancer, increased eye pressure, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Do not become overheated in hot weather; otherwise it may cause heatstroke.
• Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) and tardive dyskinesia with the following symptoms: body heat, muscle rigidness, altered mental abilities, irregular or fast heartbeat, sweating. If it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
• Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise involuntary and uncontrollable movements may develop.
• Central Nervous System :
Drowsiness, confusion, hyperactivity, tiredness, psychotic reactions, restlessness and headache.
• Eye and ENT : Dryness of mouth, blurred vision and nasal stuffiness.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
• Metabolic : Spontaneous milk secretion, breast engorgement, absence of menstrual periods, inhibition of ejaculation and swelling in the extremities.
• Skin : Skin inflammation, skin eruptions and sensitivity to light.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature.
Inguinal hernia surgery is a procedure to repair a weak spot or defect in the lower wall of the ...
Hypopituitarism is a rare disorder resulting from decreased secretion of one or more of the ...
Palliative care is a specialized multifaceted care for patients with chronic or terminal illness to ...View All