Generic Name : Temsirolimus Pronunciation : TEM-sir-OH-li-mus
International- Torisel. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a kinase inhibitor, prescribed for kidney cancer. It works by blocking cancer cells multiplication. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with increased level of bilirubin.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult- IV- The recommended dose is 25 mg infused over a 30-60 minute period once a week. How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of sugar, high cholesterol, liver impairment, bone marrow depression, certain blood problems, poor immunity, infection, wound, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid contact with people who have infections that can be spread to others.
* Avoid live vaccination during the treatment period.
* It may raise blood sugar level; monitor blood sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
* Monitor kidney function, blood cholesterol levels, blood glucose levels, and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Rash, weakness, inflammation of mucous membrane, nausea, fluid retention, loss of appetite, anemia, increased sugar, increased blood cholesterol, elevated liver enzyme, decrease in platelet counts, and white blood cells.
General - Generalized pain, fever, weight loss, headache, chest pain, and chills.
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, and vomiting.
ENT - Inflammation of pharynx.
Musculoskeletal - Back pain, joint pain, and muscle pain.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, cough, nosebleed, and runny nose.
Skin - Rash, itching, nail disorder, dry skin, and pimples.
Central Nervous system - Sensory loss, sleeplessness, and depression.
Genitourinary - Urinary tract infection.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it in refrigerator (2°-8°C). Protect from light.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert