Generic Name : Sulfisoxazole Pronunciation : sul fi sox' a zole Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Infectives ICD Code : Y41.8
International- Sulfafurazole, Gantrisin. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a sulfonamide antibacterial, prescribed for treating and preventing certain bacterial infections. It helps keep bacteria from growing in the body. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney disease, anemia, hypersensitivity, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Initial dose: One half of the 24-hour dose. Maintenance dose: 150 mg/kg/24 hours or 4 gm/M²/24 hours - dose to be divided into 4 to 6 doses/24 hours. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet and liquid to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of diarrhea, sore throat, stomach or intestinal infection, asthma, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, blood problems, liver or kidney problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid long-term use of this medication; otherwise it may cause secondary infection.
* Avoid exposure to sunlight.
* It should not be used in children less than 2 years old. Side Effects :
Allergic Reactions - Shock, serum sickness, rash, hives, itching and sensitivity to light.
Heart - Fast heart rate, palpitations, fainting and bluish.
Gastrointestinal - Liver inflammation, jaundice, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea, gastrointestinal bleeding, blood in stools, flatulence, mouth ulcer, salivary gland enlargement and inflammation of pancreas/tongue.
Genitourinary - Blood in urine, BUN and creatinine elevations, kidney inflammation and urinary retention.
Blood - Decrease in white blood cells, platelets, bruising, anemia, eosinophilia and clotting disorders.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle/joint pain.
Central Nervous System - Headache, dizziness, tingling, convulsions, ringing in the ear, unsteadiness, incoordination, stroke, mental depression, hallucinations, disorientation, depression, anxiety and apathy.
Respiratory - Cough, shortness of breath and pulmonary infiltrates.
Miscellaneous - Swelling in the extremities, fever, drowsiness, weakness, fatigue, lack of energy, rigors, flushing, hearing loss, sleeplessness, lung inflammation and chills.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (15 to 30°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert