Generic Name : Salmeterol Pronunciation : sal-ME-ter-ol Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Asthmatics ICD Code : Y55.6
India- Azrol Inhaler, Salmeter Inhaler, Salvent Dispersible Cap, Salvent Inhaler, Serobid Inhaler, Serobid Rotacap.
International- Serevent. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a long-acting beta2-adrenergic receptor agonist, prescribed for asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It widens the airways in the lungs, which help in easy breathing. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: Inhalation- Chronic asthma; COPD As metered-dose aerosol or dry powder inhalation: 50 mcg twice daily, up to 100 mcg twice daily if needed. How it should be taken :
It comes as powder for inhalation; inhale as directed by your physician. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, overactive thyroid, diabetes, epilepsy, liver or heart disease, who are taking other medications, any allergy, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Monitor serum potassium level while taking this medication.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Monitor blood sugar and blood pressure regularly while taking this medication.
* It should be used to treat asthma only if you are currently taking a long-term asthma-control medicine (eg, inhaled corticosteroids) and your asthma is not well controlled.
Side Effects :
Eye and ENT- Eye inflammation, nasal/sinus congestion, sinus headache, throat irritation, inflammation of sinus, ear infection and pain.
Central Nervous System - Headache, dizziness, sleep disturbances and tingling.
Respiratory - Asthma, inflammation of bronchus, cough, nose inflammation and viral respiratory infection.
Gastrointestinal- Nausea, vomiting and oral mucosal abnormality.
Musculoskeletal- Muscle/joint pain, muscle cramps and spasms.
Skin- Skin inflammation and rashes.
Heart- High blood pressure.
Miscellaneous- Localized aches, pains and fever.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Avoid high doses; otherwise it may cause serious heart problems.
Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (20º to 25ºC), and keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert