Generic Name : Progesterone Pronunciation : pro-ges-te-trone Therapeutic Classification : Progestins ICD Code : (Y42.5-Y42.6)
India- Algest, Alnagest, Alpreg-Sof, Arigest, Belgest, Cap Vorani, C-Hop, Conest, Corison Np, Crinone, Cygest, Deltron, Dubagest, Durogest, E-Gest, Endogest, Eocon, Ets, Evagest, Femicare, Femigest, Femogest, Fir, Up, Forgest, Fulgest, Fydogest-2, Ges-One, Gesry, Gester-Np, Gestmate, Gstofit, Gestone, Gestorim, Gestovin, Hema, Horpeg Inj, Vorani, Jpprest, LPD, Lgp, Lupigestro, Lutacare, Lutacare 2, Manogest, Medpro, Menoxy-N, Micpro, Micpro Inj, Microgest, Micronat, Miprogen, Miprogen I, Namgem, Natpreg, Natron, Naturogest, Neogest, Nidagen, N-Sanigest, Nt-Natal M, Oges, Onastrone, Pee-Tone, Peritone, Placentone, Precare, Pregat, Pregfine, Preglon, Pregnicure, Pregofact, Pregtain, Pregtom, Pregzed, Prodepot, Prodip, Progestero, Progez, Progro-M, Prolin Cap, Promoto, Pronat, Pro-One, Propeg, Prozy, Puregest, Pyretx, Recogest-N, Remens, Rhogest, Rigest, Rivgest-M, Sayopreg, Shelter, Sofia, Softgest, Sperogest, Sugest, Sugesteron, Susten, Sygest, Trugest, Turagest, Uterone, Utrogestan, Ultrovin, Vageston, Voranin, Zoygest, Zuton, Zystrone.
International- Prometrium, Endometrin , Crinone. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a hormone, prescribed for replacement therapy in women who have passed menopause. It is also used to prevent uterine cancer. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with liver disease, ectopic pregnancy, breast cancer, blood clot events, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult- PO/ IV/IM/Intrauterine/Supp- The recommended dose range is 25 to 400 mg/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food.
It also comes as a vaginal suppository to insert through vagina.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of blood vessel problems, bleeding problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sugar, kidney disease, asthma, headache, seizures, depression, mental illness, cancer, smoking, blood clots, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* It may affect blood sugar level, monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
* It should not be used in children. Side Effects :
Gastrointestinal - Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal distension and constipation.
General - Fatigue.
Central Nervous System - Headache.
Genitourinary - Ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome, uterine spasm, vaginal bleeding and urinary tract infections.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25-30°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert