Generic Name : Procarbazine Pronunciation : proe kar' ba zeen
Therapeutic Classification : Chemotherapy Trade Name(s):
India- Indicarb, Neozine, P-Carzine, Zinocarb, Hodpro, Indicab.
International- Matulane. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an antineoplastic agent, prescribed for Hodgkin disease. It inhibits protein, RNA, and DNA synthesis that help to stop the cancer cell growth. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with bone marrow depression and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: The recommended dose is 2–4 mg/kg/day either in a single dose or divided, given for 7 days then increased to 4–6 mg/kg/day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of congestive heart failure, adrenal gland tumors (eg, pheochromocytoma), bone marrow depression, heart disease, frequent headaches, mental problems, kidney, or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid exposure to sunlight.
* It may reduce platelet counts, avoid bruising or injury. Side Effects :
Blood - Nose bleed, bruising, anemia and eosinophilia.
Gastrointestinal - Liver dysfunction, jaundice, mouth ulcer, blood vomiting, blood in stool, diarrhea, indigestion, loss of appetite, abdominal pain, constipation and dry mouth.
Central Nervous System - Coma, convulsions, nerve disease, incoordination, tingling, night blindness, diminished reflexes, falling, foot drop, headache, dizziness and unsteadiness.
Heart - Low blood pressure, fast heart rate and fainting.
Eye - Eye bleeding, sensitivity to light, double vision, optic disc swelling and inability to focus.
Respiratory - Lung inflammation/infection and increased cough.
Skin - Skin inflammation, itching, hair loss, pigmentation, rash, hives and flushing.
Allergic reactions - Generalized allergic reactions.
Genitourinary - Blood in urine, urinary frequency, nighttime urination and breast enlargement in male.
Musculoskeletal - Pain, including muscle and joint pain and tremors.
Psychiatric - Hallucinations, depression, apprehension, nervousness, confusion and nightmares.
Miscellaneous - Infections, hearing loss, fever, increased sweating, lethargy, weakness, fatigue, edema, chills, sleeplessness, slurred speech, hoarseness and drowsiness.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert