This medication is a uricosuric agent, prescribed for chronic gout and gouty arthritis. It increases the excretion of uric acid from the body.
Contraindicated in children under 2 years of age, persons with known blood dyscrasias, kidney stone, hypersensitivity, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
PO- The usual adult dose for hyperuricemia is 500 mg twice daily and the maximum dose is 2 grams daily.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of ulcers, kidney stones,kidney disorder, blood disorder, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It may affect blood sugar level, monitor sugar level regularly.
• Central Nervous System :
Headache and dizziness.
• Metabolic : Precipitation of acute gouty arthritis.
• Gastrointestinal : Liver damage, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite and sore gums.
• Genitourinary : Kidney damage, blood in urine, kidney stone, back pain and urinary frequency.
• Hypersensitivity : Shock, fever, hives and itching.
• Blood : Anemia and decrease in white blood cells.
• Skin : Skin inflammation, hair loss and flushing.
Drink adequate fluid especially during the first few months of treatment.
Store it at room temperature (20°-25°C).
Cholestatic jaundice occurs when the flow of bile (chole) between the liver and small intestine is ...
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...View All