Generic Name : Prasugrel Pronunciation : PRA-soo-grel Therapeutic Classification : Platelet Aggregation Inhibitor ICD Code : Y44.4
India- Pasugen, Prasudoc, Prasulet, Prasurel, Prasusafe.
International- Effient. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a platelet aggregation inhibitor, prescribed for thrombotic cardiovascular (CV) events (life-threatening problems with the heart and blood vessels), in patients who had heart disease or undergone angioplasty. It slows or stops platelets from clumping together to form clots. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with active pathological bleeding, stroke, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 60mg as a single dose. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart attack, stomach or intestinal problems, recent injury, bleeding disorder, sugar, liver problems, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may reduce platelet counts; avoid injury or bruising.
* It may cause dizziness; do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid abrupt withdrawal.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of serious and life-threatening condition called thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) with the following symptoms: patches on the skin, fever, weakness, unusually pale skin, yellowing of the skin or eyes. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* Monitor blood pressure regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Bleeding disorders - Nose bleed, gastrointestinal bleeding, blood vomiting, bruising, post-procedural bleeding, accumulation of fluid in heart, and retinal bleeding.
Severe effects - Abnormal decrease in platelets, anemia, abnormal liver function, allergic reactions and shock.
Heart - High or low blood pressure, abnormal heart rhythm, chest pain, swelling in the heart muscles and slow heart rate.
Central Nervous System - Headache, fatigue and dizziness.
Metabolic - Increase in blood cholesterol.
Miscellaneous - Back pain, difficulty in breathing, nausea, vomiting, cough, rash, fever, swelling in the extremities, and diarrhea.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (20 to 25°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert