Generic Name : Pramlintide Acetate Injection Pronunciation : PRAM-lin-tide Therapeutic Classification : Antihyperglycemics ICD Code : Y52.6
International- Symlin. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an amylin analog, prescribed for diabetes. It slows down food digestion. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with low blood sugar, gastroparesis, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
SC- For type 1: The recommended initial dose is 15mcg. Maximum: 60mcg.
For type 2: The recommended initial dose is 60mcg. Maximum: 120mcg. How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider under the skin. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of severe low blood sugar within the past 6 months, diabetic nerve disease, high hemoglobin A1c, who are on dialysis, vision problem, co-ordination problem, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Follow the diet and exercise program as directed by your physician.
* Monitor fasting blood sugar levels and hemoglobin A1c regularly while taking this medication.
* It should not be used in children. Side Effects :
Nausea, loss of appetite, inflicted Injury, vomiting, joint pain, fatigue, allergic reaction, and dizziness.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it in refrigerator (2°C to 8°C). Do not freeze it.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert