Pimavanserin is an atypical antipsychotic drug which is prescribed for the treatment of hallucinations and delusions in patients with Parkinson disease-associated psychosis.
Pimavanserin should be avoided in patients who are allergic to the drug, with the use of certain medication, in patients with irregular heart rhythms or liver disease, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
The recommended dose of pimavanserin is 34mg to be taken as two 17 mg tablets twice a day. It can be taken either with food or on an empty stomach.
Pimavanserin comes in the form of a tablet to be taken orally by mouth.
• Patients with heart rhythm problems should not take pimavanserin.
• Women planning pregnancy should not take the drug as it may harm the fetus.
• General: Swelling of the hands, feet and ankle, walking difficulties.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea,constipation.
• Central Nervous System: Confusions, hallucinations.
• Pimavanserin should not be used by elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis.
Pimavanserin should be avoided with:
Drugs that Prolong QT interval:
• Antiarrhythmic drugs like quinidine, procainamide, disopyramide, sotalol, amiodarone when taken along with pimavanserin may increase the risk of arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm).
• Antipsychotics like ziprasidone, thioridazone and chlorpromazine and antibiotics like gatifloxacin and moxifloxacin when taken with pimavanserin may also increase the risk of arrhythmia.
• Drugs like clarithromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole and indinavir taken along with pimavanserin may increase the blood concentration of the drug.
• Drugs like carbamazepine, rifampin and phenytoin with pimavanserin may decrease the concentration of the drug.
Store the medicine in a tightly closed container at room temperature. Keep out of reach of children. Protect from excess heat and moisture.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Hand hygiene is a simple and affordable technique to prevent infections.
Erythropoietin is a hormone secreted by kidneys in response to low oxygen levels in tissues ...
Local anesthesia is a type of anesthesia generally used to block pain sensation only in a specific ...View All