Generic Name : Perindopril Pronunciation : per-IN-doe-prill Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Hypertensives ICD Code : Y52.5♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Coversyl Tab, Coversyl-Am Tab, Eviper Tab, Perigard Tab.
International- Aceon . Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a long-acting ACE inhibitor, prescribed for high blood pressure, heart attack and heart failure. It works by relaxing blood vessels. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): ♦ Do not co-administer aliskiren with this medication in patients with diabetes and contraindicated to patients with known hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Hypertension: Oral- Initial- The recommended dose is 4 mg once daily for 2 weeks. It may be increased if needed. Maintenance: 8mg once daily.
Heart failure: Initial: 2 mg in the morning. Increase slowly if needed. Maintenance: 4 mg/day. Stable ischaemic heart: Initial: 4 mg once daily for 2 week. Maintenance: 8 or 10 mg once daily. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, on an empty stomach. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of decrease in blood minerals, kidney or liver disease, bone marrow depression, blood vessel problems in the brain (including stroke), diabetes, dehydration, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, neonates, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
* Limit alcohol consumption.
* Drink adequate fluid, otherwise it may lead to dehydration.
Side Effects :
Body as a Whole- Uneasiness, pain, cold/hot sensation, chills, fluid retention, allergic reactions and facial swelling.
Gastrointestinal- Constipation, dry mouth, dry mucous membrane, increased appetite and stomach inflammation.
Respiratory- Runny nose, asthma, throat disorder, difficulty in breathing, sneezing, nosebleed, hoarseness and lung scar.
Genitourinary- Vaginal inflammation, kidney stone, flank pain, urinary frequency and urinary retention.
Heart- Low blood pressure, heart attack, dilatation of blood vessels, fainting and abnormal heart sound.
Endocrine- Abnormally elevated levels of uric acid in the blood.
Blood- Blood clot and bruising.
Musculoskeletal- Joint/muscle pain.
Central Nervous System- Headache, memory loss and stroke.
Psychiatric- Anxiety and psychosexual disorders.
Skin- Sweating, skin infection, itching, dry skin, redness, fever blisters and bruising.
Eye and ENT- Eye inflammation and ear pain.
Metabolic- Decreased potassium level in blood, increase in uric acid, liver enzymes, cholesterol, blood sugar and blood in urine.
* Patient may develop with cough, if it so consult with your doctor.
Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (20ï¿½ to 25ï¿½C) and in an airtight container. Protect from moisture.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert