Generic Name : Pazopanib Pronunciation : paz-OH-pa-nib
Therapeutic Classification : Chemotherapy Trade Name(s):
International- Votrient. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, prescribed for renal cell carcinoma. It slows or stops the spread of cancer cells. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with severe liver problem, bleeding problem and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : The recommended dose is 800 mg orally once daily without food. Maximum: 800 mg. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver problems, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, other heart problems, abnormal electrolyte levels, underactive thyroid, stomach problem, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Avoid contact with people who have infections that may spread to others.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of bleeding disorder with the following conditions: blood in the urine, coughing or spitting up blood, severe or persistent nosebleed. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* Monitor liver and thyroid function, urine protein levels, blood pressure, blood electrolytes, and heart function regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Common - Diarrhea, high blood pressure, hair color change, nausea, fatigue, loss of appetite and vomiting.
Heart - Heart attack, QT prolongation, stroke and torsade de pointes (fast heart rate).
Central Nervous System - Weakness and headache.
Skin - Hair loss and rash.
Eye and ENT - Nosebleed.
Gastrointestinal - Abdominal pain, indigestion, rectal bleeding and decrease in taste sensitivity.
Genitourinary - Protein and blood in urine.
Blood - Decrease in white blood cells and platelets.
Metabolic - Underactive thyroid, increase in liver enzyme and decrease in blood minerals.
Respiratory - Bloodstained sputum.
Miscellaneous - Bleeding disorder, decreased weight hand-foot syndrome with reddening, swelling, numbness and desquamation, swelling in the face and fistula.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert