Generic Name : Paricalcitol Pronunciation : par-i-KAL-si-tol Therapeutic Classification : Vitamin D Analogs
International- Zemplar. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a vitamin D compound, prescribed for hyperparathyroidism associated with chronic kidney disease (CKD). It blocks the formation and release of parathyroid hormone (PTH). When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with evidence of vitamin D toxicity, high levels of calcium, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Patients 5 yr of age and older- IV- Initial : 0.04 to 0.1 mcg/kg no more frequently than every other day during dialysis. Increase dose by 2 to 4 mcg at 2- to 4-week intervals. It may be gradually increased.
Adult- 1 mcg daily or 2 mcg 3 times/week. How it should be taken : It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart diseases, hardening or narrowing of blood vessels, high blood phosphate level, liver impairment, or seizures, who are taking calcium supplements, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Take proper diet as directed by your physician.
* Avoid excessive use of aluminum-containing products while taking this medication.
* Monitor blood calcium, phosphorus, and PTH levels regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Body as a Whole - Accidental injury, pain, infection, allergic reaction, headache, abdominal pain, back pain, weakness, chest pain, fever and flu like syndrome.
Heart - High or low blood pressure, fainting, heart muscle weakness, heart failure, heart attack, and chest pain.
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, constipation, stomach flu, indigestion and stomach inflammation.
Blood - Excess fluid and skin discoloration.
Metabolic - Fluid retention, blood in urine, gout, dehydration, acidity and increase or decrease in blood minerals.
Musculoskeletal - Joint inflammation, leg cramps, and muscle pain.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, depression, sleeplessness and nerve disease.
Respiratory - Inflammation of upper respiratory tract, nose bleed, cough, and pneumonia.
Skin - Rash, itching, skin ulcer, scar and rash.
Eye - Abnormal vision and retinal disorder.
Genitourinary - Urinary tract infection and kidney impairment.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert