Generic Name : Oxymorphone Pronunciation : ox ee MOR fone Therapeutic Classification : Narcotic (opioid) Analgesic
International- Opana, Opana ER, Numorphan HCl. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an opioid analgesic, prescribed for the cure of moderate to severe pain in patients. This is also used as a preoperative medication. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients with history of respiratory disease, asthma, liver impairment, paralytic ileus (intestine paralysis) and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
PO- The initial recommended dose is 10 to 20 mg, every four to six hours. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of head injury, increased intracranial pressure (pressure within the skull), low blood pressure, liver and kidney impairment, thyroid or adrenal gland disorder, gastrointestinal problem, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* In elderly person it may cause respiratory and central nervous system depression, if it so stop the medication immediately.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
Side Effects :
Most Common- Nausea, constipation, dizziness, vomiting, itching, drowsiness, headache and increased sweat.
Eye - Blurred vision
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea, abdominal pain, indigestion, dry mouth, decreased appetite and dehydration.
Central Nervous System - Sleeplessness, anxiety, sedation, fatigue, lethargy, weakness, confusion, disorientation, restlessness, nervousness and depression.
Skin - Rash.
Respiratory- Difficulty in breathing.
Heart- Irregular heartbeats, high/low blood pressure and orthostatic hypotension.
Genitourinary- Difficulty in urination.
Miscellaneous- Fever, weight decreased and swelling in the leg and face region.
* It may lead to dehydration; drink adequate water or liquid.
* Avoid alcohol consumption. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (20°-25° C), and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert