Generic Name : Oseltamivir Pronunciation : os el tam' i vir Therapeutic Classification : Antivirals ICD Code : Y41.5
India- Fluvir Cap , Fluvir Dry Syr , Antiflu Cap, Tamiflu.
International- Tamiflu. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a neuraminidase inhibitor, prescribed for the treatment and prevention of flu. It suppresses the activity of the neuraminidase enzyme, which is responsible for the spread of the virus from an infected cell. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Hypersensitivity and toxic epidermal necrolysis (allergic reactions caused by medications).
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult and Children > 13 years: 75 mg twice daily for 5 days.
Child: Dose is based on body weight. Dosage may be reduced if needed. How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule and syrup to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, liver, lung or kidney disease, HIV/AIDS, pregnancy, and breastfeeding.
* Caution should be exercised in patients with brain disorder or swelling.
* It may make you drowsy, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcoholic beverages.
* Patient may develop with suicidal thoughts, watch them carefully.
* Avoid vaccination while taking this medication.
Side Effects :
Body as a whole- Swelling of the face and tongue regions, allergic reactions, fever, chills, lack of appetite, running nose, sore throat and muscle aches.
Skin- Blistering of the skin and skin rashes.
Gastrointestinal- Vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea and nausea.
Central Nervous System - Headache, insomnia (sleeping problem), sudden confusion state, nightmares and unusual behavior.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, bronchitis, cough, and mild respiratory problems.
* Not advisable for treatment in children less than 1 year of age. Storage Conditions :
Storage: Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert