Generic Name : Orlistat Pronunciation : or-li-stat Therapeutic Classification : Antiobesity Drug ICD Code : Y52.6♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Cobese, Lipocut,Lipophage, Obelit,Obiless, Obitrol, Olisat, Orlica, Orlimac, Orlitroy, Reeshape, Troyslim, Vyfat, Zerofat.
International- Alli, Xenical. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a lipase inhibitor, prescribed for obesity in adults. It works by blocking the digestion of fats from the diet. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with reduced gallbladder function, malabsorption, who are taking cyclosporine, underwent an organ transplant and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 1 capsule (60-mg) with each meal containing fat. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of gallbladder, liver, pancreas, or thyroid problems, sugar, kidney stones, received an organ transplant, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It should not be used in children.
* Follow proper diet and exercise program as directed by your physician.
* It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Gastrointestinal - Oily spotting, loose stools, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and loss of appetite.
Central Nervous System - Headache and anxiety.
Miscellaneous - Irregular periods, dark colored urine, hives, rash, itching and difficulty in breathing.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert