Generic Name : Oprelvekin Pronunciation : oh-PREL-ve-kin Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics
International- Neumega. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is an interleukin, prescribed for severe thrombocytopenia caused by certain chemotherapy treatments. It stimulates certain body chemicals to produce platelets. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult- SC- The recommended dose is 50 µg/kg given once daily. How it should be taken : It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider under the skin. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of blood cancer, bone marrow transplant, brain tumor, irregular heart rhythm, high blood pressure, stroke, heart failure, lung, liver, or kidney problem, fluid retention, decrease in blood potassium level, eye defects, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness or fainting, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* In children, serious eye problems may occur.
* If condition become worsens contact your healthcare provider immediately. Side Effects :
Most Common - Fluid retention, difficulty in breathing, fast heart rate, palpitations, abnormal heart rhythm, and lung infection.
Body as a Whole - Fluid retention, fever, headache, pain, and chills.
Heart - Dilatation of blood vessels and fainting.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea/vomiting, ulceration of the mucous membranes, diarrhea, mouth infection, abdominal pain, infection, loss of appetite, constipation, indigestion and dehydration.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, sleeplessness, nervousness, weakness, and tingling.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, nose inflammation and increased cough.
Skin - Rash, hair loss, bruising, blisters, and skin discoloration.
Eye and ENT - Blurred vision, and eye bleeding.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle pain and bone pain.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it in refrigerator (2° to 8°C) and protect from light. Do not freeze it.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert