Generic Name : Omeprazole and Sodium Bicarbonate Pronunciation : oh-MEP-ra-zole- SOE-dee-um bye-KAR-bo-nate Therapeutic Classification : Antacids ICD Code : Y53.1♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
International- Zegerid and Zegerid OTC. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This combination medication contains proton pump inhibitor (PPI) and sodium bicarbonate, prescribed for esophagal irritation caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity.
♦It should not be co-administered with Clopidogrel and St John’s Wort.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
PO- The recommended dose is 20 to 40 mg once daily for 4 to 8 weeks. How it should be taken :
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver problems, stomach or bowel cancer, undiagnosed rectal bleeding, shortness of breath, frequent wheezing, chest pain, heartburn, Bartter syndrome, low blood minerals, osteoporosis, difficulty in swallowing, chest or shoulder pain with shortness of breath, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid long-term use of this medication with calcium supplements or milk; otherwise it may cause milk-alkali syndrome.
* It should be used with extreme caution in Asian patients; the risk of side effects may be increased in these patients. Side Effects :
Blood - Anemia, decrease in platelets.
Heart - Abnormal heart rhythm, slow heart rate, fast heart rate, high blood pressure, low blood pressure.
Gastrointestinal - Constipation, diarrhea, abnormal deficiency of movement.
General - Extreme elevation of body temperature, fluid retention.
Infections - Mouth infection, sepsis, urinary tract infection.
Metabolic - Fluid overload, increased blood sugar, increase or decrease in blood minerals.
Central Nervous System - Agitation.
Respiratory - Acute respiratory distress syndrome, pneumonia, respiratory failure.
Skin - Bedsores, rash.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert