Obiltoxaximab is a monoclonal antibody which is prescribed for the treatment of inhalational anthrax caused due to Bacillus anthracis in combination with antibacterial drugs. It is also used for prevention of inhalational anthrax when there is no alternate therapy for the treatment.
Obiltoxaximab should be avoided in patients who are allergic to the drug.
The recommended dose of obiltoxaximab for adult patients is 16mg/kg to be administered intravenously over 90 minutes as a single dose.
The dose for children is calculated according to their body weight.
|> 40 kgs||16mg/kg|
|> 15 kg to < 40kg||24mg/kg|
• Premedication with diphenhydramine is done prior to the intravenous administration of obiltoxaximab to prevent allergic reaction.
• Obiltoxaximab comes in the form of an injection which must be diluted with 0.9% sodium chloride injection before administration.
• Obiltoxaximab does not have antibacterial activity and therefore should be used in combination with antibacterial drugs.
• Tell your doctor if you are pregnant before you are administered the drug.
• Obiltoxaximab injection should be given for prophylaxis (prevention) of inhalational anthrax only if it outweighs the risk of an allergic reaction.
• General: Swelling or pain in the infusion site, headache, fever.
• Respiratory system: Cough, upper respiratory tract infections, nasal congestion, runny nose, difficulty in breathing.
• Cardiovascular system: Discomfort or pain in the chest, bluish discoloration of the skin due to inadequate oxygen supply in blood, irregular heartbeats.
• Musculoskeletal system: Muscle pain.
• Gastrointestinal system: Dry mouth, vomiting.
• Central Nervous system: Dizziness.
• Blood: Decreased white blood cell count (decreased lymphocyte and neutrophil count).
• Skin: Itching of the skin and skin rashes.
• Premedication with diphenhydramine is done prior to the administration of obiltoxaximab injection to delay or mask the symptoms of hypersensitivity (allergic reactions).
Obiltoxaximab is administered along with antibacterial drugs like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin and doxycycline for the treatment of inhalational anthrax.
Store the obiltoxaximab injection in a refrigerator at 2 - 8 °C. Do not freeze or shake the injection and protect it from excess light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Hand hygiene is a simple and affordable technique to prevent infections.
Erythropoietin is a hormone secreted by kidneys in response to low oxygen levels in tissues ...
Local anesthesia is a type of anesthesia generally used to block pain sensation only in a specific ...View All