Generic Name : Nevirapine Pronunciation : ne- vye'- ra- peen Therapeutic Classification : Antivirals ICD Code : Y41.5
India- Nev Tab, Neve Tab, Nevimune Susp, Nevimune Tab, Nevipan Tab, Nevir Susp, Nevir Tab, Neviretro Tab.
International-Viramune. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a reverse transcriptase inhibitor, prescribed for HIV infection and AIDS. It inhibits the activity of reverse transcriptase enzyme and blocks the production of DNA and new viruses. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity and in patients with severe liver impairment.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult: PO- Combined with other antiretrovirals: The recommended dose is 200 mg once daily for the first 14 days; up to 200 mg twice daily if rash does not develop. Re-introduce at a lower dose for the first 14 days if the treatment is interrupted for >7 days. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet, to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney disease, liver impairment, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of liver damage, serious life threatening allergic reactions, if it is so consult with your doctor.
* It may affect the effectiveness of oral contraceptives; consult with your doctor for other methods to prevent pregnancy while taking this medication.
* It may lead to redistribution/accumulation of body fat in many parts of body.
Side Effects :
Body as whole- Swelling in the hand, feet, ankle and lower leg regions, fever and weight loss.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
Central Nervous System - Headache, fatigue, dizziness and depression.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle pain.
Respiratory - Dry cough.
Metabolic - Increase in liver enzymes.
Potentially Fatal: Severe and life-threatening liver toxicity and skin reactions.
* It may reduce the effectiveness of contraceptives.
* Avoid alcoholic beverages.
Storage Conditions :
Oral: Store it at 15-30°C, and in an airtight container, keep away from children and light.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert