Generic Name : Nefazodone Pronunciation : neff-AZ-oh-done Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics ICD Code : Y49.2
International- Serzone. Overview :
Note: The brand is not available in US market. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a phenylpiperazine antidepressant, prescribed for depression. It increases the amount of certain natural substances in the brain that are needed to maintain mental balance. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Contraindicated in patients who experienced liver injury due to previous administration of this drug; co-administration with terfenadine, astemizole, cisapride, pimozide, or carbamazepine is contraindicated.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult- PO- The recommended starting dose is 200 mg, 2 times per day. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with seizures, heart attack, chest pain, stroke, or other heart disease, liver disease, stomach bleeding, suicidal tendencies, who are taking other medications, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Monitor liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; watch them carefully. Side Effects :
Most Common - Drowsiness, dry mouth, dizziness, constipation, weakness, lightheadedness, blurred vision, confusion and abnormal vision.
Body as a Whole - Headache, infection, flu syndrome, chills, fever, neck rigidity.
Heart - Low blood pressure, dilatation of blood vessels.
Skin - Itching, rash.
Gastrointestinal - Indigestion, diarrhea, increased appetite, nausea, vomiting.
Metabolic - Swelling in the extremities, increased thirst.
Musculoskeletal - Joint pain.
Central Nervous system - Sleeplessness, confusion, memory impairment, tingling, abnormal dreams, concentration decreased, incoordination, tremor, increased muscle tone, decreased libido.
Respiratory - Inflammation of pharynx, increased cough.
Eye and ENT - Blurred vision, abnormal vision, ringing in the ear, taste perversion.
Genitourinary - Urinary frequency, urinary tract infection, urinary retention, vaginal inflammation, breast pain.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert