Generic Name : Naproxen and Esomeprazole Magnesium Pronunciation : na-PROX-en- ES-oh-MEP-ra-zole
International- Vimovo. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This combination medication contains NSAID and a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), prescribed for rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis. It is used for patients who have an increased risk for stomach ulcers and who need to take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients who have experienced asthma, hives, or allergic-type reactions after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs, perioperative pain, last 3 months of pregnancy, severe liver problem, had bypass heart surgery, and known hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
The recommended dose is one tablet twice daily (375/20mg). How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, at least 30 minutes before meals. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of kidney or liver disease, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, helicobacter pylori infection, stomach problems, high blood pressure, blood disorders, high blood cholesterol, bleeding problems, dehydration, decrease or increase in blood minerals, who are taking low-salt (sodium), alcoholism, any allergy, who are taking other medications, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It should not be used in children.
* Monitor liver and kidney function, complete blood cell counts, and blood pressure regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Gastrointestinal - Stomach ulcer, indigestion, stomach inflammation, diarrhea, gastric ulcer, abdominal pain, nausea, hiatus hernia, abdominal distension, flatulence, constipation, stomach bleeding, gastroesophageal reflux disease, duodenal ulcer.
Infections - Upper respiratory tract infection, lung inflammation, urinary tract infection, sinus inflammation.
Musculoskeletal - Joint pain.
Central Nervous System - Headache, abnormal taste.
Respiratory - Cough.
Body as a Whole - Anaphylactic reactions, menstrual disorders, chills and fever.
Heart - Congestive heart failure, inflammation of blood vessels, high blood pressure, lung swelling.
Liver - Jaundice, abnormal liver function tests.
Blood - Eosinophilia, anemia, blood in stool, decrease in white blood in stool and platelets.
Metabolic - Increase or decrease in blood sugar.
Central Nervous System - Inability to concentrate, depression, dream abnormalities, sleeplessness, uneasiness, muscle pain, muscle weakness, brain inflammation, brain dysfunction, convulsions.
Respiratory - Asthma.
Skin - Hair loss, hives, skin rashes, skin death, redness.
Eye and ENT - Hearing impairment, eye inflammation.
Genitourinary - Kidney inflammation, blood in urine, kidney failure, female- infertility.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store the medication as directed by your physician.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert