This medication is a narcotic analgesic, prescribed for severe acute and chronic pain. It is also used as a sedative. It is dangerously addicting.
Contraindicated in patients with respiratory depression, paralytic ileus, and hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 10 – 50mg.
IM/SC – The recommended dose is 10 to 15mg.
IV- The recommended dose is 2 to 6mg.
Child: The recommended dose is 0.1 to 0.2mg/kg.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food.
It also comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein, muscle or under the skin.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart, liver or kidney disease, thyroid, stomach problems, enlarged prostate, trouble in urinating, Addison disease, hypoxia (not enough oxygen in your body), scoliosis (curvature of the spine), seizures, alcoholism, suicidal thoughts, mental problems, head injury, asthma or other respiratory disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or lightheadedness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• It may cause constipation, to avoid this problem take proper diet with fiber, plenty of water and other fluids.
• Avoid long- term use of this medication; otherwise patient may get addicted to this drug.
• Monitor liver, kidney, or lung function and complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
• Most Common :
Constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, anxiety, and emotion.
• Central Nervous System : Weakness, headache, agitation, tremor, uncoordinated muscle movements, seizures, mood changes, nervousness, apprehension, depression, floating feelings, abnormal visual disturbances and sleeplessness.
• Gastrointestinal: Dry mouth, loss of appetite, diarrhea, cramps, taste alteration, constipation, intestinal obstruction, indigestion and increased level of liver enzymes.
• Heart : Flushing of the face, chills, fast/slow heart rate, palpitations, faintness and low/high blood pressure.
• Genitourinary : Urine retention or hesitance, absence of urination and impotence.
• Skin : Itching, hives, rash, increased sweating.
• Other : Tingling, asthma and double vision.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature (25°C), in an airtight container and protect from light.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
A patient's struggle with Issacs' syndrome with no cure. Also known as neuromyotonia it is a rare ...
Inguinal hernia surgery is a procedure to repair a weak spot or defect in the lower wall of the ...
Hypopituitarism is a rare disorder resulting from decreased secretion of one or more of the ...View All