Generic Name : Milnacipran Hcl Pronunciation : mil-NA-si-pran Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Milborn, Milnace.
International- Savella. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), prescribed for fibromyalgia. It increases the amount of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with increased eye pressure, known hypersensitivity, who are taking MAOIs, or within 14 days of discontinuing treatment with MAOIs.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 50-100 mg twice daily. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, heart diseases, high blood pressure, bleeding disorder, kidney, or liver impairment, urinary obstruction, enlarged prostate, increased eye pressure, dehydration, alcoholism, bipolar disorder, mental illness, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; watch them carefully.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of serotonin syndrome, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: agitation, coma, confusion, excessive sweating, fast or irregular heartbeat, fever, hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, tremor, fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating. If is so consult with your doctor immediately.
* Monitor blood pressure, heart rate, and liver function regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Heart - Palpitations, fast heart rate, high blood pressure, flushing and hot flush.
Eye - Blurred vision.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, constipation, vomiting, dry mouth and abdominal pain.
General - Chest pain, chills and chest discomfort.
Metabolic - Decreased appetite.
♦ Central Nervous System - Headache, dizziness, migraine, tingling, tremor, sensory loss, sleeplessness, anxiety, anger, aggression and homicidal ideation.
Respiratory - Upper respiratory tract infection and difficulty in breathing.
Skin - Excessive sweating, rash and itching.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert