Generic Name : Lovastatin Pronunciation : loe' va sta tin Therapeutic Classification : Antilipemics ICD Code : Y52.6♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Aztatin Tab, Elstatin Tab, Elstin Tab, Favolip Tab, Lestric Tab, Lipistat Tab, Lochol Tab, Lostatin Tab, Lotin Tab, Lova Tab, Lovacard Tab, Lovadac Tab, Lovalip Tab, Lovameg Tab, Lovastat Tab, Lovastrol Tab, Lovatin Tab, Lovex Tab, Pro Hdl Tab, Recol Tab, Rovacor Tab.
International- Altocor, Altoprev, Mevacor. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, prescribed for high cholesterol. It reduces the production of certain fatty substances in the body. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): ♦ Contraindicated in patients with liver disease, elevated liver enzymes level, pregnancy, lactation and hypersensitivity.
It should not be co-administered with strong CYP3A4 inhibitors.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : PO- The recommended dose range is 10-80 mg daily at bedtime. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of liver disease, alcoholism, who had an organ transplant or surgery, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly and children.
* It may cause dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Monitor blood cholesterol level, liver function tests and creatine phosphokinase (CPK) blood levels regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Body As a Whole - Weakness.
♦ Gastrointestinal - Abdominal pain, non- fatal liver failure, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, flatulence and nausea.
♦ Musculoskeletal - Muscle cramps, muscle pain, Immune-Mediated Necrotizing Myopathy (IMNM).
♦ Central Nervous System - Dizziness, cognitive impairment (e.g., memory loss, forgetfulness, amnesia, memory impairment, confusion) and headache.
Skin - Rash.
Special Senses - Blurred vision.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (20-25°C). Store this medication away from light and out the reach of children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert