Generic Name : Losartan Pronunciation : loe-SAR-tan Therapeutic Classification : Angiotensin Receptor Blockers ICD Code : Y52.5
India- Actilop Tab, Adpace-4 Tab, Alsartan Tab, Angilo Tab, Angilos Tab, Angizaar Tab, Angizaar-At Tab, Arblos Tab, Asipress Tab, Biozaar Tab, Blosar Film-Coated Tab, Cardikare Film-Coated Tab, Cosart Film-Coated Tab, Covance Fc-Tab, Czar Tab, Czartan Tab, Etotan Tab, Etotan-At Tab, Giftan Tab, Gosart Reagent Strip, Gosart Tab, Hypart Tab, Lanxes Tab, Lap Tab, Lara Tab, Lartan Tab, Lo Tab, Lo-E Tab, Loril Tab, Losacar Tab, Losagard Tab, Losakind Film-Coated Tab, Losamax Tab, Losan Tab, Losapot Film-Coated Tab, Losar A Tab, Losar Tab, Losar-Beta Tab, Losariv Tab, Losartas Tab, Losasun Tab, Losatec Tab, Losatrust Tab, Losavas Tab, Losavik Tab, Loscard Tab, Loscom Tab, Losium Tab, Lospi Tab, Lospot Tab, Lossar Tab, Lostat Film-Coated Tab, Lotace Tab, Lotan Tab, Lotan-A Tab, Lozitan Tab, Lsp Tab, Ltp Tab, Nusar Tab, Nusar-Atn Tab , Osart Tab, Presartan Tab, Repace Tab, Resilo Tab, Rigard Tab, Sartan , Tanzar, Tozaar, Vazortan, Vida 25, Zaart, Zargo, Zilos, Zyltan.
International- Cozaar. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB), prescribed for high blood pressure. It is also used for prevention of stroke, and diabetic nephropathy. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with severe kidney problem, during third trimester of pregnancy, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult: PO- The recommended dose is 50 mg once daily. Max: 100 mg/day. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of blood vessel problems, poor blood circulation, fluid retention, heart, liver or kidney problems, diabetes, stroke, recent heart attack, electrolyte problem, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of angioedema with swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes throat, or tongue; difficulty in swallowing or breathing; or hoarseness. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* It should not be used in children less than 6 years old.
* Monitor blood pressure, blood electrolyte levels, and heart, kidney, or liver function regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Most Frequent - Swelling, abdominal pain, chest pain, nausea, headache, inflammation of pharynx, diarrhea, indigestion, muscle pain, sleeplessness, cough and sinus disorder.
Body as a Whole - Facial swelling, fever and fainting.
Heart - Chest pain, low blood pressure, heart attack, fast heart rate and slow heart rate.
Gastrointestinal - Loss of appetite, constipation, tooth pain, dry mouth, flatulence, stomach inflammation and vomiting.
Blood - Anemia.
Metabolic - Gout.
Musculoskeletal - Arm pain, hip pain, joint swelling, knee pain, shoulder pain, stiffness, joint pain, joint inflammation, muscle weakness/cramp and back pain.
Central Nervous System - Anxiety, incoordination, confusion, depression, dream abnormality, sensory loss, decreased sexual activity, memory loss, migraine, nervousness, tingling, numbness, weakness, burning pain , sleep disorder, drowsiness, tremor and unsteadiness.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, lung inflammation, nose bleed, nose inflammation, respiratory congestion and upper respiratory tract infection.
Skin - Hair loss, skin inflammation, dry skin, redness, flushing, sensitivity to light, itching, rash, sweating and hives.
Eye and ENT - Blurred vision, burning/stinging in the eye, taste perversion, ringing in the ear and decrease in vision.
Genitourinary - Impotence, nighttime urination, urinary frequency and urinary tract infection.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at controlled room temperature (25°to 30°C). Protect from light. Store the suspension in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Discard any unused suspension after 4 weeks of use.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert