This medication is a thyroid hormone, prescribed for myxedema. It is also used to treat goiter (enlarged thyroid gland). It reverses hypothyroidism symptoms.
Contraindicated in patients with untreated thyrotoxicosis, heart attack and hypersensitivity.
The recommended dose is 5 to 25 mcg per day.
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, as a single dose before breakfast every day.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of heart or blood vessel disease, high blood pressure, overactive thyroid, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may affect blood sugar level, monitor sugar level regularly.
• Patient may experience with certain symptoms like shaking of the hands, nervousness, difficulty in sleeping, headache, change in appetite, diarrhea, weight loss etc., if it is so consult with your doctor.
• Central Nervous System :
Tremor, headache, nervousness, irritability and sleeplessness.
• Gastrointestinal : Weight loss, stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps and increased appetite.
• Miscellaneous : Excessive sweating, fever, changes in menstrual cycle and sensitivity to heat.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container.
A patient's struggle with Issacs' syndrome with no cure. Also known as neuromyotonia it is a rare ...
Inguinal hernia surgery is a procedure to repair a weak spot or defect in the lower wall of the ...
Hypopituitarism is a rare disorder resulting from decreased secretion of one or more of the ...View All