Generic Name : Levalbuterol HCl Pronunciation : leh val BYOO ter all Therapeutic Classification : Anti- Asthmatics ICD Code : Y55.6♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
International- Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a bronchodilator, prescribed for the treatment or prevention of bronchospasm in adults, adolescents and children 6 years of age and older. It widens air passage and helps in easy breathing. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Children 6-11 years old: The recommended dose is 0.31 mg administered three times a day, by nebulization. Routine dosing should not exceed 0.63 mg three times a day.
Adults and Adolescents ≥ 12 years old: The recommended starting dose is 0.63 mg administered three times a day, every 6 to 8 hours, by nebulization.
How it should be taken : It comes as a solution (liquid) to inhale by mouth as directed by your physician. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, heart disease, seizures, diabetes, overactive thyroid, kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Patient may develop with severe breathing problems; if it so consult with your doctor.
Side Effects :
Adults and Adolescents-
Body as a Whole - Allergic reaction, flu syndrome, chills, chest pain, accidental injury and back pain.
Heart- Fast heart rate, abnormal ECG, high/low blood pressure and fainting.
♦ Gastrointestinal- Indigestion, dry mouth, dry throat, metabolic acidosis, stomach inflammation and nausea.
Musculoskeletal- Leg cramps and muscle pain.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, muscle weakness, sleeplessness, sensory loss in hands, nervousness, tingling, headache, tremor and anxiety.
Respiratory - Increased cough, viral infection and nose inflammation.
Special Senses- Itching in the eyes.
Children 6-11 years old-
Body as a Whole- Abdominal pain, accidental injury, weakness, fever, headache and viral infection.
Gastrointestinal - Diarrhea.
Blood - Swollen glands.
Musculoskeletal- Muscle pain.
Respiratory- Asthma and inflammation of pharynx/nose.
Skin- Skin inflammation, rashes and hives.
Special Senses- Ear inflammation.
* Avoid excess dosage.
* It may cause dry mouth or unpleasant taste in your mouth, rinse your mouth with water.
* Monitor lung function while taking this medication.
Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (20-25°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert