Generic Name : Leuprolide Pronunciation : loo-PROL-lide Therapeutic Classification : Miscellaneous Endocrine Agents♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Eligard, Leuprofact, Lucrin Dep, Lupride, Progtase.
International- Lupron Depot, Eligard, Viadur. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist (hormonal chemotherapy), prescribed for prostate cancer, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and central precocious puberty. It decreases levels of certain hormones in the body. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in pregnant women and patients with known hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : SC- The recommended dose is 1 mg/day (0.2 ml or 20 unit mark) administered as a single dose. How it should be taken : It comes as a solution for injection to be administered by a healthcare provider under the skin. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of sugar, high blood sugar, urinary problems, spinal cord problems, heart disease, stroke, weak bones, osteoporosis, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may decrease certain hormone levels, they may cause severe side effects such as breast size changes, breast soreness or tenderness, testicular changes, irregular periods, decreased sexual ability, hot flashes. If it is so consult with your doctor.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of bone weakness, sugar; if you experience with unusual pain or tiredness consult with your doctor.
* Monitor blood testosterone levels, prostate-specific antigen (PSA), hemoglobin, blood glucose and bone density regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Heart - Heart failure, ECG changes, high blood pressure, murmur, inflammation of blood vessels, fluid accumulation and swelling.
Gastrointestinal - Loss of appetite, constipation, nausea and vomiting.
Genitourinary - Decreased testicular size, breast enlargement in male, breast tenderness or pain, hot flashes, impotence urine frequency/urgency, blood in urine and urinary tract infection.
Blood - Anemia.
Musculoskeletal - Bone/muscle pain.
♦ Central Nervous System - Dizziness, lightheadedness, general pain, headache, convulsions and sleep disorders.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing and nasal congestion.
Skin - Skin inflammation.
Miscellaneous - Weakness.
* It should not be used in children.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert