Generic Name : Ivermectin Pronunciation : EYE-ver-MEK-tin Therapeutic Classification : Antihelmintics ICD Code : Y41.4
India- Ascapil, Ectin, Ectover, Elect, Hestin, Ifact, Imectin, IV Pac, I - Star, Isco, Ivel, Ivecop -DT, Ivecpom, Ivercid, Iver Sol , Iverin, Iversan, Iver-Sol, Iverstar, Ivor, Ivori, Macbi, Mectin, Scabicare, Scaberase -I, Scavista, Starmec, Sivermin. Tergum, Tinver, Tromer, Tyver, Varzo, Verco, Vermac, Vermectin, Vermin, Vermiscab, Versil-6.
International- Stromectol. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is an anthelmintic, prescribed for certain parasitic roundworm infections such as Strongyloidiasis and Onchocerciasis. It kills the worms in the intestines. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : It is administered as a single oral dose therapy.
Strongyloidiasis- The recommended dose is 200mcg/kg/ body weight.
Onchocerciasis - The recommended dose is 150mcg/kg body weight. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, as single dose on an empty stomach with a full glass of water. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma or a weakened immune system, any infection, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Stool examinations may be performed while taking this medication.
* Patients who have other parasite infections may develop with increased risk of serious brain problem with the following symptoms: unusual back pain, eye bleeding, shortness of breath, failure to control bladder or bowel, trouble walking or standing, mental changes. If it is so consult with your doctor immediately. Side Effects :
Body as a Whole - Weakness/fatigue and abdominal pain.
Gastrointestinal - Loss of appetite, constipation, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, drowsiness, unsteadiness and tremor.
Skin - Itching, rash and hives.
* Extreme caution needed in children weighing less than 33 pounds (15 kilograms).
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25-30°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert