Generic Name : Isocarboxazid Pronunciation : eye-soe-kar-BOX-a-zid Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics ICD Code : Y49.1
International- Marplan. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, prescribed for short-term (up to 6 weeks) depression. It increases certain chemicals in the brain that help elevate mood. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients who are taking anorexiant, antihypertensive, dibenzazepine derivatives, sympathomimetics, central nervous system depressants, diuretic, antihistaminic, sedatives, anesthetic drugs, or have taken another MAO inhibitors within the last 14 days; contraindicated in patients with high blood pressure, heart or brain blood vessel disease or problems, heart failure, liver problems, severe kidney problems, brain disorders, and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : PO- Initial- The recommended dose is one tablet (10 mg) twice daily. It may be increased if needed. How it should be taken : It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of asthma, mental illness, lung inflammation, irregular heartbeat, sugar, epilepsy, thyroid problems, heart disease, Parkinson disease, blood disorder (porphyria), kidney impairment, stroke, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts. Side Effects :
Most Common - Dizziness.
Miscellaneous - Drowsiness, anxiety, chills, memory loss, over active, lethargy, sleepiness and fainting.
Skin - Increased sweating.
Musculoskeletal - Heavy feeling.
Heart - Low blood pressure and palpitations.
Gastrointestinal - Constipation and diarrhea.
Genitourinary - Impotence, urinary frequency and urinary hesitancy.
Central Nervous System - Headache, sleeplessness, tremor, jerks and tingling.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (20 to 25° C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert