Generic Name : Ioxilan Therapeutic Classification : Diagnostic Agents ICD Code : Y57.6
International- Oxilan. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a nonionic, water soluble, triiodinated x-ray contrast agent, prescribed for cerebral arteriography, excretory urography and Contrast Enhanced Computed Tomographic (CECT) imaging of the head and body. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Not for intrathecal use.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Intra-Arterial: (350 mgl/mL)-
Left and Right Coronary: 2mLto10mL (0.7 to 3.5 gl)
Left Ventricle: 25 mL to 50 mL (8.75 to 17.5 gl)
Intravenous: (300 mgl/mL or 350 mgl/mL)
CECTof the Head: The usual dose is 100 mL to 200 mL (30 to 60 gl)
CECTof the Body: The usual dose is 50 mL to 200 mL (15 to 60 gl)
How it should be taken :
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider into the vein or artery. Warnings and Precautions :
* Avoid intrathecal administration; otherwise it may lead to serious side effects such as death, stroke, convulsion, coma, paralysis etc.
* It may lead to dehydration; drink adequate fluid.
* It is advisable to give general anesthesia in some patients.
* Caution should be exercised in patients with heart disease, diabetes, dehydration, kidney or liver impairment, poor immunity, known thyroid disorder, multiple myeloma, who are taking other medications, any allergy, during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Side Effects :
Body As A Whole - Headache, fever, blood clot at injection site, chills, allergic reaction, weakness, chest and back pain, swelling of the neck and face, pain, swelling in the extremities.
Heart - Chest pain, high or low blood pressure, slow heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, fainting, fast heart rate, and dilatation of blood vessels.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, constipation, indigestion, difficulty in swallowing, gastrointestinal bleeding, ileus, liver failure.
Central Nervous System - Dizziness, drowsiness, tingling, night blindness, fainting, decreased muscle tone.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, inflammation of pharynx, nose inflammation.
Eye and ENT - Abnormal vision, eye inflammation, taste perversion.
Genitourinary - Absence of urination, painful urination, blood in urine, infection of urinary tract, and , kidney failure.
Skin - Itching, increased sweating, hives and rash.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store at room temperature between 15°and30°C.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert