This medication is a protease inhibitor, prescribed for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection in adults that slow the spread of HIV infection in the body. It works by blocking the growth of HIV.
Contraindicated in patients with severe liver damage and hypersensitivity.
It should not be co-administered with ovastatin, or simvastatin.
PO- The recommended dose is 800 mg 8 hourly orally.
It comes as a capsule to take by mouth, on an empty stomach.
• 1 hour time interval should be there in between didanosine and indinavir.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of hemophilia or kidney or liver disease, alcohol abuse, high blood sugar, high cholesterol, kidney stones, urinary problems, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• It does not stop the spread of HIV to others; avoid sexual contact, sharing of needles, or injection supplies.
• It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
• Heart :
Chest pain, blood supply disorder and heart attack.
• Central Nervous System : Headache, dizziness, fatigue, general discomfort, drowsiness, oral tingling and depression.
• Skin : Itching, rash, redness of the skin, Stevens Johnson syndrome, darkening of skin or nail, hair loss, ingrown toenails and nail infection.
• Eye and ENT : Taste perversion.
• Gastrointestinal : Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, acid regurgitation, loss of appetite, diarrhea, increased appetite, upset stomach and abdominal distension.
• Genitourinary : Kidney stones, absence of urine, kidney insufficiency, kidney failure, pus in urine, interstitial nephritis sometimes with indinavir crystal deposits and crystals in urine.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at 25°C.
A desiccant (drying agent) is included with your capsules; keep this in your medicine bottle at all times.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Inguinal hernia surgery is a procedure to repair a weak spot or defect in the lower wall of the ...
Hypopituitarism is a rare disorder resulting from decreased secretion of one or more of the ...
Palliative care is a specialized multifaceted care for patients with chronic or terminal illness to ...View All