Generic Name : Hydrochlorothiazide and Spironolactone Pronunciation : hye droe klor oh thye' a zide- speer on oh lak' tone Therapeutic Classification : Diuretics ICD Code : Y54.5
International- Aldactazide, Spironazide, Spirozide. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This combination medication contains potassium-sparing diuretic and thiazide diuretic, prescribed for essential hypertension and fluid retention caused by various conditions, including heart disease. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients with anuria, acute kidney impairment and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Po- The recommended dose is 100mg (Hydrochlorothiazide 100mg and Spironolactone 100mg) in a single dose or in divided dose. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with diabetes, gout, kidney or liver disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn.
* It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly.
* Monitor liver function, kidney function, lung function, blood pressure, blood electrolytes and fasting blood glucose levels regularly while taking this medication. Side Effects :
Body as a whole - Weakness.
Heart - Low blood pressure.
Gastrointestinal - Inflammation of pancreas, jaundice, diarrhea, vomiting, cramping, constipation, gastric irritation, nausea and loss of appetite.
Blood - Anemia and decrease in white blood cells/platelets.
Hypersensitivity - Shock, respiratory distress including lung inflammation/swelling, photosensitivity, fever, hives, rash and bruising.
Metabolic - Electrolyte imbalance.
Musculoskeletal - Muscle spasm.
Central Nervous system - Vertigo, tingling, dizziness, headache and restlessness.
Genitourinary - Kidney failure.
Skin - Redness and itching.
Eye - Blurred vision.
* Avoid excess dosage. Storage Conditions :
Store it in room temperature (25°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert