Generic Name : Homatropine Pronunciation : hoe ma TROE peen Therapeutic Classification : Decongestants ICD Code : Y55.5
India- Homide Eye Drops, Homarin Forte Eye Drops - Chlorbutol + Homatropine Hydrobromide.
International- Hycodan, Tussigon. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is an anticholinergic agent, prescribed for dry cough along with hydrocodone.
Homatropine ophthalmic is prescribed for eye inflammation. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Adult: PO- One (1) tablet or 5 ml (1 teaspoonful) of the oral solution every 4 to 6 hours as needed; do not exceed six (6) tablets or 30 ml (6 teaspoonfuls) in 24 hours.
Child: One-half (1/2) tablet or 2.5 ml (1/2 teaspoonful) of the oral solution every 4 to 6 hours as needed; do not exceed three (3) tablets or 15 ml (3 teaspoonfuls) in 24 hours.
Eye Drops- Adult: Instill 1 to 2 drops in the eye once. Repeat within 5 to 10 minutes if necessary.
Child: Instill 1 to 2 drops into the affected eye up to every 3 to 4 hours.
How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet, solution to take orally. It also comes as eye drops to instill into the affected eye(s). Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of certain eye problems, down syndrome, Addison's disease, breathing problems, brain disorders, severe infectious, diarrhea, kidney disease, liver disease, mental/mood disorders, spinal problems, recent surgery, underactive thyroid, alcohol abuse, difficulty in urinating, elderly, children, during pregnancy and lactation.
* It may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* This eye drops may cause harm if used internally, if it so consult with your doctor immediately.
Side Effects :
Central Nervous System- Sedation, drowsiness, mental clouding, impairment of mental and physical performance, anxiety, fear, dizziness, psychic dependence and mood changes.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, vomiting and constipation.
Genitourinary - Automatic jerking movements in urethral and urinary retention.
Respiratory- Difficulty in breathing.
Skin- Rash and itching.
Eye - Blurred vision, eye itching, burning or stinging and irritation at the application site.
* Wear sun-glass while using this eye drops.
Storage Conditions :
Store oral solution at controlled room temperature (25°C).
Eye Drops: Store it at room temperature, Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert