Generic Name : Gabapentin Enacarbil
Pronunciation : GAB-a-PEN-tin EN-a-KAR-bil
TradeName : International- Horizant.
Why it is prescribed :
This medication is a prodrug, prescribed for moderate to severe restless leg syndrome (RLS).
When it is to be taken :
PO- The recommended dosage is 600 mg once daily at about 5 PM.
How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with food at about 5:00 PM.
Special Instruction :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, mental illness, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of suicidal thoughts; if it is so consult with your healthcare provider.
* Monitor kidney function regularly while taking this medication.
Side Effects :
Most Common - Drowsiness, sedation and dizziness.
Central Nervous System - Headache, depression, decrease in sexual drive or activity.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, dry mouth, flatulence.
General - Fatigue, irritability, feeling drunk, feeling abnormal, swelling in the extremities.
Metabolic - Increased weight and appetite.
Other Precautions :
* Avoid excess dosage.
Storage Conditions :
Store at 25°C. Protect from moisture.