This medication is an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, also known as a "statin", prescribed for high cholesterol and triglycerides in certain patients, and decreases the blockages in blood vessels. It also increases high-density lipoprotein (HDL, "good") cholesterol levels.
Contraindicated in patients with abnormal liver functions, during pregnancy and breastfeeding; hypersensitivity.
Adults- PO- The recommended dose is 20 to 80 mg daily.
This medication is available in the form of capsule and an extended-release (long-acting) tablet to take by mouth, with or without food, once or twice a day.
• Caution should be exercised patients with history of kidney disease, diabetes, thyroid, children younger than 9 years.
• 4 hours time interval needed in between cholestyramine (Questran) and fluvastatin adminsitration.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Do not change the dose.
• Do not breastfeed while you are taking this medication.
• ♦Monitor liver function level regularly while taking this medication.
Tightness in the chest, chest pain and difficulty in breathing.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, sore throat, pale stools and heartburn.
• Central Nervous System: Headache and mental or mood changes.
♦ • Musculoskeletal: Joint pain, muscle pain, tenderness or weakness and immune-mediated necrotizing myopathy (IMNM).
• Skin: Rash, hives, itching, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin, numbness or tingling of the skin, arm, or leg.
• Respiratory: Sinus pain and cough.
• Genitourinary: Change in the amount of urine produced, dark urine, painful or frequent urination.
♦ • Metabolic: Changes in liver enzymes level.
• Miscellaneous: Fever, chills and flu-like symptoms.
Serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels should be measured before therapy.
Store at 25°C. Store it in an airtight container and keep away from children.
Breathing in unclean air due to increasing air pollution could cause kidney damage with resultant ...
Benign prostatic hyperplasia or enlarged prostate is a noncancerous condition observed in men above ...
Urinary retention is a condition where a person is unable to voluntarily empty the urinary bladder ...View All