This medication is a tranquilizer, prescribed for mental retardation. It belongs to the piperazine class of phenothiazines.
Contraindicated in patients with blood dyscrasias, brain damage, who are taking hypnotics medications, bone marrow depression, mental depression and hypersensitivity.
Adult- The recommended dose range is 2.5 to 10 mg per day.
It comes as a tablet to take mouth, with or without food.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of increased eye pressure, enlarged prostate, difficulty in urinating, seizures, overactive thyroid, liver, kidney or heart disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness or blurred vision, do not drive a car or operate machinery and get up slowly from bed while taking this medication.
• Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather; otherwise it may cause heatstroke.
• Avoid exposure to sunlight; otherwise it may cause sunburn.
• Some patients may develop with involuntary muscle movements and neuroleptic malignant syndrome; if it is so consult with your doctor.
• Monitor liver and kidney functions, complete blood cell counts regularly while taking this medication.
• Central Nervous System :
Incoordination, involuntary movement, restlessness, poor eyeball movement, tremors and rigidity.
• Heart : Low/high blood pressure.
• Gastrointestinal : Dry mouth, constipation, nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite.
• Eye : Blurred vision and increased eye pressure.
• Metabolic : Breast enlargement in male, menstrual irregularities, weight change and impotence.
• Liver : Jaundice.
• Allergic Reactions : Blisters, rash, hives, itching, difficulty in breathing or swallowing, swelling of the eyes, face, mouth, lips, tongue, throat, arms, hands, feet, ankles or lower legs.
Avoid alcohol consumption.
Store it at room temperature, and in an airtight container. Keep away from children.
Cholestatic jaundice occurs when the flow of bile (chole) between the liver and small intestine is ...
Opportunistic infections are microbial infections that can cause disease in persons with a weak ...
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...View All