Generic Name : Fluoxetine Pronunciation : floo ox' e teen Therapeutic Classification : Psychotherapeutics ICD Code : Y49.2♦ Safety Labeling Changes Approved By FDA
India- Afzot Tab, Alivate Tab, Altin Tab, Barozac Cap, Curix-20 Tab, Dawnex Cap, Depten-20 Tab, Depten-Az Tab, Depten-Oz-10 Tab, Depten-Oz-5 Tab, Depwell Tab, Depzac Cap, Durien Tab, Exiten Plus Tab, Faa Cap, Faa Plus Tab, Fadep Cap, Faxtin Cap, Faxtin-A Tab, Fiden-Az Tab, Floxikair Cap, Fluchem Cap, Fludac Cap, Fludac Susp, Fludawn Tab, Fludep Cap, Fludep-Az Tab, Flugen Cap, Flumusa Forte Tab, Flumusa-20 Tab, Flunat Tab, Flunil Cap, Fluriv Cap, Fluron Cap, Flutin Cap, Flutine Cap, Flutine Syr, Flutinol Cap, Flutop-Dr Tab, Flutop-La Tab, Flutrac Cap, Flutric Cap, Fluwel Tab, Flux Cap, Fluxal Cap, Fluxin Cap, Fluxin-Al Cap, Fluze Cap, Fluzolam Tab, Foxe Cap, Fulx Cap, Griloc Cap, Ht-20 Cap, Loftil Cap, L-Peez F Tab, Molux Cap, Nedep Cap, Noc Cap, Nuzac Cap, Persona Cap, Platin Cap, Prodac Cap, Prodep Cap, Prodep Susp, Pronil Cap, Pronil Plus Tab, Relax-F Tab, Salidep Cap, Syine Tab, Zotin Cap, Zotin Plus Tab, Zydep Cap.
International- Prozac, Rapiflux, Sarafem, Selfemra. Why it is prescribed (Indications) : This medication is an antidepressant, prescribed for depression and anxiety. It is also used for obesity and eating disorders. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications): Contraindicated in patients who are taking MAOIs, pimozide, thioridazine and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken : Adult: PO- The recommended dose range is 20 - 80 mg/day. How it should be taken : It comes as a capsule and solution to take by mouth, with or without food once or twice a day. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of seizures, heart, liver or kidney problems, stomach bleeding, sugar, metabolic problems, suicidal thoughts, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breast feeding.
* It may cause drowsiness or dizziness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It may develop increased risk of suicidal thoughts in children and teenagers; watch them carefully.
* It may affect blood sugar level; monitor sugar level regularly while taking this medication.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) with the following symptoms: fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking, fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating. If it is so consult with your doctor.
♦ *Patient may develop with increased risk of Serotonin Syndrome with the following symptoms: agitation, confusion, hallucinations, coma, fever, irregular heartbeat, tremor, excessive sweating, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Side Effects :
Body as a Whole - Headache, weakness, flu syndrome and fever.
Heart - Dilatation of blood vessels.
Gastrointestinal - Nausea, diarrhea, loss of appetite, dry mouth, indigestion, constipation, flatulence and vomiting.
Metabolic - Weight loss.
Central Nervous System - Sleeplessness, nervousness, anxiety, drowsiness, dizziness, tremor, decreased sexual interest and abnormal thinking.
Respiratory - Yawn.
Skin - Increased sweating, rash and itching.
Special Senses - Abnormal vision.
* Rarely it may cause prolonged, painful erection, if it so consult with your doctor.
* Do not take more than recommended dose. Storage Conditions :
Store at controlled room temperature (15° to 30°C).
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert