Generic Name : Fentanyl Skin Patches Pronunciation : FEN ta nil trans DERM al Therapeutic Classification : Opioid Analgesic and Anesthesia Adjunct
India- Durogesic Transdermal Patch , Fendrop Amp, Fenilate Inj , Fenstud Amp, Fent Inj, Trofentyl Inj.
International- Duragesic . Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a narcotic analgesic, prescribed for severe pain. It works by changing the way the brain and nervous system respond to pain. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
Transdermal Intractable cancer pain Initial- Apply patch that delivers 25 mcg/hour of fentanyl in opioid-naive patients. Adjust dose according to response. For patients who have been receiving a strong opioid, initial dose should be based on the previous 24-hour opioid requirement. Replace patch 72 hourly and apply new patch to a different site. How it should be taken :
It comes as a patch to apply over dry skin as directed by your physician. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of head injury, brain tumor, stroke, epilepsy, slow heartbeat, difficulty in urinating, Addison's disease, low blood pressure, thyroid, heart, liver, pancreas, gallbladder or kidney disease, any allergy, who are taking other medications, elderly, children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcohol consumption.
* It may cause constipation, take proper diet.
* Caution needed for patients with temperature higher than 102 Â°F (38.9 Â°C).
* Avoid abrupt withdrawal.
* Avoid high doses/long-term use of this medication. Side Effects :
Most Serious - Low/high blood pressure.
Most Common - Nausea and vomiting.
Body as whole - Headache, fever and back pain.
Heart - Slow heart rate.
Gastrointestinal - Abdominal distention.
Central Nervous System - Speech disorders, tightness of muscle, fainting, numbness, dizziness, sleep disorders, depersonalization and hostility.
Respiratory - Difficulty in breathing, asthma and respiratory disorders.
Skin - Skin inflammation and pus formation.
Eye - Vision loss.
Genitourinary - Bladder pain, absence of urine and increased urinary frequency.
* Do not apply over same skin area.
* Avoid using soaps, oils, lotions, alcohol or other chemicals on the skin where this medication is applied.
* Avoid sexual intercourse. Storage Conditions :
Store them at room temperature, away from excess heat. Keep away from children.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert