Generic Name : Estropipate Pronunciation : ESS-troe-PIH-pate Therapeutic Classification : Hormones ICD Code : Y42.5
International- Ortho-Est. Why it is prescribed (Indications) :
This medication is a crystalline form of estrogen, prescribed for symptoms of menopause, osteoporosis, excessive and painful vaginal bleeding. When it is not to be taken (Contraindications):
It is not advisable to administer in people with abnormal genital bleeding, breast cancer, estrogen-dependent tumor, blood clot events, stroke, heart attack, liver impairment; and hypersensitivity.
Dosage & When it is to be taken :
PO- The recommended dose is 0.75-9 mg orally daily. Administration usually is cycled; 21 days on and 7-10 days off. How it should be taken :
It comes as a tablet to take by mouth, with or without food. Warnings and Precautions :
* Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high cholesterol, liver or kidney disease, breast cancer, vaginal infections, asthma, cancer, diabetes, epilepsy, obesity, high blood pressure, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
* It may cause dizziness or drowsiness, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
* Avoid alcoholic beverages while taking this medication.
* Patient may develop with increased risk of stroke, blood pressure and vaginal discomfort; if it so consult with your doctor.
Side Effects :
Genitourinary- Increase in vaginal bleeding, spotting, painful menstruation, increase in size of uterine fibroids, vaginal inflammation, change in the amount of vaginal secretion, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer and over growth of uterine wall.
Breast- Tenderness, enlargement, pain, milky discharge from nipple, fibrocystic breast disease and breast cancer.
Heart- Blood clot in lungs and blood vessels, heart attack, stroke and increase in blood pressure.
Gastrointestinal- Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, bloating, gallbladder disease and inflammation of pancreas.
Liver- Jaundice and enlargement of liver tumor.
Skin- Dark skin, acne, redness, bleeding eruption, loss of scalp hair, excessive hair growth over the body, itching and rash.
Eyes- Retinal blood clot, increase in refractive power and intolerance towards contact lenses.
Central nervous system- Headache, migraine, numbness, dizziness, mental depression, chorea (involuntary muscle movement), nervousness, mood disturbances, irritability, exacerbation of epilepsy and dementia.
Respiratory- Chest pain.
Miscellaneous- Increase or decrease in weight; reduced carbohydrate tolerance, joint pain/swelling, leg cramps, severe allergic reactions, exacerbation of asthma and changes in libido.
* Monitor blood sugar level regularly.
* Examination of breast at periodic intervals during the treatment is needed.
Storage Conditions :
Store it at room temperature (25Â°C), and in an airtight container.
Comment & Contribute
Ask an Expert