This medication is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), prescribed for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). With amoxicillin and clarithromycin it is used for treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection and duodenal ulcer. It is also used to aid in reduction in occurrence of gastric ulcers associated with continuous NSAID therapy, and in Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. It blocks the production of stomach acid.
♦ It should not be co-administered with Methotrexate, clopidogrel and atazanavir.
GERD: 20 or 40 mg is given once daily for 4-8 weeks. In children ages 1-11, the dose is 10 or 20 mg daily.
H. pylori: 40 mg is administered once daily in combination with amoxicillin and clarithromycin for 10 days.
NSAID-induced ulcers: 20 to 40 mg daily for 6 months.
Zollinger-Ellison syndrome is treated with 40 mg twice daily.
It comes as a tablet or capsule to take by mouth, once a day, one hour before meal.
• Caution needed for children, pregnancy and breastfeeding women.
• It may cause malignancy and liver impairment.
• While taking this medication, there is an increased risk of developing certain infections such as community-acquired pneumonia.
• Central Nervous System:
Headache, dizziness, drowsiness, aggression, agitation, depression, hallucination.
• Skin: Itching, hair loss, severe allergic reactions, photosensitivity, blistering.
• Eye and ENT: Blurred vision.
• Gastrointestinal: Flatulence, abdominal pain, stomach upset, nausea, diarrhea, dry mouth, constipation, GI fungal infection, inflammation of pancreas and intestine, mouth ulcer, taste disturbance.
• Genitourinary: Breast enlargement in men, kidney disorder.
• Liver: Occurrence of confusion, altered level of consciousness and coma as a result of liver failure(Hepatic encephalopathy) , liver failure, inflammation of liver with or without jaundice.
• Blood: Decrease in white blood cells.
• Local: Injection-site reactions including mild local redness and itching with IV administration.
• Musculoskeletal: Muscular weakness, muscle pain.
• Respiratory: Asthma, respiratory tract infection.
• Miscellaneous: Severe allergic reaction/shock.
Take properly as per your doctor's advice.
Injection: Powder for injection: Store at (20 - 25°C). Protect from light. Reconstituted solution for injection should be stored at room temperature up to 30°C and administered within 12 hr after preparation.
Abortion pills are used in the first trimester to terminate pregnancy. Women should be aware of ...
Tea tree oil is an essential oil derived from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia plant and ...
Fallopian tube cancer is a form of gynecologic cancer arising in the fallopian tubes, which are ...View All