This medication prevents blood clots in patients who are on bed rest or who are having orthopedic surgery of the hip replacement, knee replacement, or large intestinal surgery. It is also used alone or in combination with warfarin to prevent and treat blood clots in the leg. It is a low molecular weight heparin. It stops the formation of substances that cause clots. It is also used in unstable angina and heart attacks.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity, acute bacterial endocarditis (inflammation of inner layer of heart); major bleeding disorder, stroke due to bleeding, uncontrolled hypertension, drug-induced thrombocytopenia (decrease in platelets), dependency on kidney dialysis, eye disease due to diabetes or bleeding, bleeding or surgeries on brain, spinal cord, eyes and ears.
Adult-SC- Abdominal Surgery- the recommended dose is 40 mg once a day.
Hip or Knee Replacement Surgery- the recommended dose is 30 mg every 12 hours.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be administered by a healthcare provider under the skin.
• Caution needed for patients with history of kidney or liver impairment, history of GI ulceration, spinal or epidural anesthesia; lactation and pregnancy; elderly.
• Periodic blood counts, platelet count and stool occult blood test recommended.
• Do not use it in newborns or infants, because it contains benzyl alcohol.
• Monitor liver function carefully.
Abnormal heart rhythm, heart failure.
• Skin: Cutaneous vasculitis(inflammation of blood vessels in the skin), easy bruising, discoloration of skin, skin necrosis occurring at the injection site or distant from the injection, blisters, rash.
• Gastrointestinal: Nausea, diarrhea.
• Blood: Anemia, major bleeding, reduced platelets, in some people increase in platelets.
• Hypersensitivity: Systemic allergic reactions including anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, itching, and hives.
• Local: Pain, tenderness, irritation and redness, bleeding.
• Genitourinary: Blood in urine.
• Respiratory: Difficulty in sleeping, lung swelling and inflammation.
• Liver: Increase in level of liver enzymes.
• Miscellaneous: Mental confusion, fever, bleeding within the spinal cord, raised potassium level in the blood, swelling in the extremities.
Do not administer by IM injection.
Injection: Store at 25°C. Store it in airtight container and keep away from children.
The state health insurance programs provide health care support to the below poverty line (BPL) ...
There is a lining between the lungs and chest wall known as Pleura. The dismissal of pleura by a ...
Reflux nephropathy is the scarring and damage caused to the kidneys by reverse flow of urine from ...View All