This medication is a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI), and active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) prescribed for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) type 1 either alone or with other medications.
Contraindicated in patients who are taking antimigraine, benzodiazepines, calcium channel blocker, GI motility agent, neuroleptic drugs, St. John's wort, and known hypersensitivity.
Adult- PO- The recommended dose is 600 mg, once daily.
It comes as a tablet and capsule to take by mouth, on an empty stomach.
• Caution should be exercised in patients with history of high cholesterol, kidney problem, liver problems, seizures, mental illness, any allergy, who are taking other medications, during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
• It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or trouble in concentrating, do not drive a car or operate machinery while taking this medication.
• Avoid alcohol consumption.
• Since it does not stop the spread of HIV to others, avoid sexual contact, sharing of needles and injection supplies.
• Extreme caution needed in children less than 3 years old.
• Monitor liver function and cholesterol level while taking this medication.
• ♦Patient may develop Immune Reconstitution Syndrome.
• Most Common :
Dizziness, nausea, headache, fatigue, sleeplessness and vomiting.
• Body as a Whole : Allergic reactions, weakness and redistribution/accumulation of body fat.
• Central Nervous System : Poor concentration, drowsiness, abnormal dreaming, emotion, confusion, agitation, memory loss, hallucinations, stupor, abnormal thinking and depersonalization.
• Genitourinary : Breast enlargement in male.
• Gastrointestinal : Constipation and malabsorption.
• Heart : Flushing and palpitations.
• Liver : Increase in liver enzyme and liver failure/inflammation.
• Metabolic : Increased level of cholesterol in blood.
• Musculoskeletal : Muscle pain and joint pain.
• Respiratory : Difficulty in breathing.
♦• Skin : Redness of the skin, rash and Stevens-Johnson syndrome.
• Eye and ENT : Abnormal vision and ringing in the ear.
Avoid excess dosage.
Store it at controlled room temperature (15- 25° C).
A prosthetic heart valve is an artificial device surgically implanted into the heart to replace a ...
PUVA or photochemotherapy is used to treat several skin disorders with the help of UV light and the ...
Breathing in unclean air due to increasing air pollution could cause kidney damage with resultant ...View All