This medication is a sympathomimetic compound used in the treatment of heart failure and cardiogenic shock. It stimulates the heart muscle.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity; idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis (Obstruction of the flow of blood out of the left ventricle due to enlargement of the ventricular septum), Tachydsrhythmias.
Adult: IV -Acute heart failure- 2.5-10 mcg/kg, titrate to desired response.
Cardiac stress test- As 1 mg/mL solution: 5 mcg/kg/min for 8 minutes.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be injected by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Correct the decreased blood volume prior to treatment.
• It may increase the risk of rapid ventricular response in patients with abnormal heart rate.
• Caution needed for patients with history of liver disease, allergies, endocrine tumor, and irregular heartbeat/arrhythmia, hyperthyroidism, elderly, newborns, pregnancy.
Increased heart rate and blood pressure, chest pain, palpitation.
• Local: Inflammation of vein.
• Miscellaneous: Nausea, vomiting, headache, anxiety, fatigue and shortness of breath
• Potentially Fatal: Heart diseases.
Monitor ECG, blood pressure regularly while taking this medication.
Avoid excess dosage.
Intravenous: Store at 15-30°C.Normally handled by healthcare providers.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Strokes occur when blood flow to an area of the brain is cut off. It is imperitive to detect the ...
Bile duct cancer occurs either within the liver or the point where the bile ducts emerge from the ...
Xeroderma pigmentosum is a rare inherited condition marked by extreme sensitivity to sunlight and ...View All