This medication is a sympathomimetic compound used in the treatment of heart failure and cardiogenic shock. It stimulates the heart muscle.
Contraindicated in patients with hypersensitivity; idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis (Obstruction of the flow of blood out of the left ventricle due to enlargement of the ventricular septum), Tachydsrhythmias.
Adult: IV -Acute heart failure- 2.5-10 mcg/kg, titrate to desired response.
Cardiac stress test- As 1 mg/mL solution: 5 mcg/kg/min for 8 minutes.
It comes as a solution for injection, to be injected by a healthcare provider into the vein.
• Correct the decreased blood volume prior to treatment.
• It may increase the risk of rapid ventricular response in patients with abnormal heart rate.
• Caution needed for patients with history of liver disease, allergies, endocrine tumor, and irregular heartbeat/arrhythmia, hyperthyroidism, elderly, newborns, pregnancy.
Increased heart rate and blood pressure, chest pain, palpitation.
• Local: Inflammation of vein.
• Miscellaneous: Nausea, vomiting, headache, anxiety, fatigue and shortness of breath
• Potentially Fatal: Heart diseases.
Monitor ECG, blood pressure regularly while taking this medication.
Avoid excess dosage.
Intravenous: Store at 15-30°C.Normally handled by healthcare providers.
Subscribe to our Free Newsletters!
Hand hygiene is a simple and affordable technique to prevent infections.
Erythropoietin is a hormone secreted by kidneys in response to low oxygen levels in tissues ...
Local anesthesia is a type of anesthesia generally used to block pain sensation only in a specific ...View All